'Sustainability' seems to be a popular catch phrase of the day. The bookstores, web, and news are abuzz about 'urban homesteading' and 'sustainable living'. Some people are doing it because they think the end of the world as we know it is around the corner and others are just tired of the feeling that we have life handed to us on a platter. People used to have to work hard to survive and we have lost that completely in our modern society. I have a deep desire to live a simple life (whatever that means) so maybe that's why I got interested in the concept. In March of 2011 my wife and I planted a raised bed vegetable garden in our suburban backyard. It's safe to say that we didn't know where it would take us. Almost two months later, we have planted 13 different vegetables, 4 fruit trees, and 3 herbs.
We have a compost heap which is decomposing nicely and a lot of our kitchen trash becomes a part of the compost heap thus reducing our waste output and at the same time creating great soil for next year.
We have big plans for our mini-farm. Next year we will be adding a third raised bed garden and maybe more fruit. It's amazing to look at your property and realize the potential it has to be more than just a lawn and some shrubs. Genesis 3:19 says "By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food." Even though this is part of Adam's curse, we're having fun with it, and I can't wait to eat that salad or mashed potatoes or squash casserole and realize that my wife and I worked hard to get this food. I will appreciate it so much more.
Nice start on what could become a major food source. Especially in a genuine crisis. Would like to send your blog spot to my son in Charlotte N.C. who is a master composter. I am sure he would be interested in your squash pictures that you raised in compost.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement. I plan on doubling the size of the garden next year. I'd be glad for you to send the link to your son.
ReplyDelete