Thursday, June 2, 2011

Drying Herbs for Dummies

A lot of what I'm learning is due to a trial and error process.  I wanted to use the herbs from our garden in recipes, but I needed to preserve them somehow.  First I picked and washed the leaves, put them on a tray and put them in the oven at 300 degrees and left the door open.


I had collected some pill bottles to put the herbs in.


 When I was sure all the moisture had evaporated (maybe 10 minutes), I dumped the leaves on a paper towel, wrapped them up and crushed them.  When the paper towel is opened, if there are any small pieces that were not crushed, they still have moisture.  Put them back in the oven.



Then empty the paper towel onto a paper plate and pour the dried herbs into the pill bottle.


I have collected Basil, Oregano, and Green Onion.  Next year I'm going to create one garden that is specifically dedicated to herbs.  I will expand to Rosemary, Thyme, Cumin, Dill, and maybe Mint (although I don't know what the cooking application for Mint is).  My favorite part is when the drying herbs fill the house with their scent.

1 comment:

  1. You guys NEED a dehydrator--can get them cheap at a thrift store.

    ReplyDelete