Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Bad Farmer"

I suppose a mid-summer update is in order.  It has been hot and there has been very little rain.  The handful of tangerines that are left are getting bigger, and although the plum tree hasn't had any blooms yet, it has a lot of leaves and new shoots.  I've gathered some tomatoes and there are many more getting bigger.  The pumpkin vine is winding its way around and around the raised bed, but I can't seem to keep enough water on it.  I harvested some jalapeno peppers.  I sliced them, blanched them, put them in ice water (and ate one which was really hot!).  Google said after that I should pressure seal them, so I squeezed the air out of a ziploc bag then put them in the freezer.


After being gone for a week, I came back and found a monster zucchini.  It lying in the dirt, and covered by leaves.  I guess I missed it.  Lunch that day was an order of extra large bacon and cheese squash medallions.


Months ago I planted several different seeds, but I forgot what they were.  A new vine started growing and I have no idea what it is.  It looks suspiciously like a watermelon, but I know I didn't plant any watermelon.  If anyone knows what it is, please let me know.


I also harvested some dill seed.  My wife asked me what I planned to do with the dill seed and I said, "grow more dill!"  To which she said, "for what?"  To which I said, "to get more dill seed".  For some reason that was the end of the conversation.  (If anyone needs any dill seed, let me know)




1 comment:

  1. That is so true. I think I plant vegetables just because I like to watch them grow! :)

    ReplyDelete