Things are progressing well at the compost heap! Everything is growing except the spinach which might be growing, but I can't tell what is weeds and what is spinach. Our peas are flourishing, but might need some TLC tonight as the temperature reaches freezing.
I built a fire pit in the back yard so that I could burn some of the dead dogwood trees I've been cutting down.
Then I started dealing with the compost. My empty raised bed garden has been empty for way too long, so I put a layer of dirt (from the fire pit project), a layer of leaves, and covered it with the rest of the compost that has been decomposing for a couple of years now (a lot of worms made the trip as well!).
And then I built a new compost bin inspired by James & Becca at Little Green Bees. I declare today, "Compost Day!"
I am enjoying doing this in the fall/winter, but I have been thinking lately about the spring/summer crops (squash, tomatoes, cucumber, etc.) and looking forward to growing those as well.
Everyone stay warm this holiday season. Find a cozy fire to sit in front of . . .
wow! the compost pile looks great. glad we could inspire it. :)
ReplyDelete